Diary of Dan

Thursday, September 30, 2004

OH MY DARLING CLEMENTINE

My grandfather (a very old man (relatively) - fast approaching the 90s) was in the Boy Scouts, and he used to be a good singer in those days, it seems. He sings a line or two even now, though quite out of tune! Here's a favourite song of his, he learnt it in 1933. Took a lot of nagging though, to get him to write it down. (The other one being "My Bonny lies o'er the ocean")

Oh my darling, Oh my darling, Oh my darling Clementine,
Thou art lost and gone for ever, dreadful sorrows, Clementine!!!

Drove she ducklings, to the water,
Every morning just at nine,
slipped her foot against a splinter, and
fell into the foaming mine!!!

Oh my darling, Oh my darling, Oh my darling Clementine,
Thou art lost and gone for ever, dreadful sorrows, Clementine!!!

1st moral of the story: Do not drive ducklings to the water, especially at nine in the morning. Otherwise you shall be lost to the sea for ever!
2nd moral of the story: Always remember the songs you sang in your life. Might come in handy, for entertaining your grandchildren.

2 Comments:

At 30/9/04 5:05 pm, Blogger Unknown said...

'Always remember the songs you sang in your life. Might come in handy, for entertaining your grandchildren.'

I enjoyed this post , it brought a smile to my face.
Thank you.

 
At 30/9/04 11:18 pm, Blogger Kathak - The Story Teller! said...

Dan,

You beat me to conclusion #1. That was the conclusion I had formed while reading the stanza, and was thinking of putting that in as a comment, when what do I see? Dan's already done the job!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home