Diary of Dan

Tuesday, November 23, 2004

A Romance of Youth

This is a 19th century French novel written by Francois Coppee. I read its english translated ebook (I have this habit of downloading some ebooks every few months, and then not reading them. So I decided to try reading this. The other one I left unfinished, is Mein Kampf.) a few days back (during diwali whenever I wasn't out shopping). Then it became so boring I couldn't finish it. But still, some sentences in it were good enough to be reproduced here:

"It seems to me that in order to feel really unhappy I must have nobody to love - that is the only privation worth the trouble of noticing."

"One must never complain so long as one is fortunate enough to keep those one loves.And when you have gloomy thoughts, come and see your old friends. They will try to warm your heart at the fireside of their friendship, and to give you some of their courage, the courage of poor people which is composed of a little indifference and a little resignation."

"Conscience, my poor friend, is like a Suede glove, you can wear it
soiled."

"Two sauces that always make the poorest meal palatable - hope and happiness."

1 Comments:

At 9/6/06 3:02 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey the second quote s quite true. it always happens that when we r blue, our near ones(read close friends) give us some courage n hope. very much true. i appreciate you quoted it here.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home