Diary of Dan

Friday, April 24, 2009

Neruda

Came to office reading Neruda!!!!!! And listening to Bach! (Bach courtesy Kewl :) ) 'Management' aspirants must have read him, his passages - for reading comprehension! Pablo Neruda.. A Chilean man, into politics.. and - poetry - interesting! (Reminds you of Atal B V?) Pleasantly surprised, I chanced upon books of his poetry yday in the Sgp lib.. Deceptively slim n modest volumes of simple looking poetry.. The poems don't look soooo basic.
So.. This one's called 'Stones of the Sky' - btw I'm reading the translated version.. Guess the original is Spanish.. Translated by some James Nolan.. Umm, the poems reminded me of Rabindranath's Geetanjali - waise I also found Rabindranath's books also in the lib yday..
So.. The central theme of these 30 poems is that - we are all stone, and we are made from stone (matter - particles..), and finally we will dissolve into stone.. (and our heads are filled with stones :P - ok he doesn’t say this :) ) So - stones are our ancestors, and inheritors both.. Stones have life - they undergo transformations.. Etc etc! Different elements are 'captured' in stone.. I found this interesting.. Could the Hindu practice of worshipping stones be attributed to similar thoughts? *wonders*
Anyways.. Pablo Neruda and his complexity remained etched in my mind - and the mysteriousness I associated with Neruda readers was also maintained.. Now I myself seem fated - to become a Neruda reader by choice :P

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home